The Tragedy of Ocarina of Time

banned
im catgirl wanna be pals
  • Pronouns: she/it
  • Fave food: mac and cheese
  • Favorite Letter: j
26 Mar 2023, 07:54 #136546
No, this is not a post about Ocarina of Time's quality. I have my negative opinions on the game design, but i'll say the water temple is awful and the people were right about it but everything else about the game is fine and dandy. This post is about the game's story.

I've always thought Ocarina of Time had a very fascinating story. It's a tale of Link, a lone child living in the forest with the Kokiri, ridiculed by his peers for he did not have a fairy like everyone else. Everyone had always seen him as lesser, and he saw himself that way as well. Even when a fairy finally did show up and invite him to go on a quest, he didn't even care at first. But soon, he's pulled out of the forest and thrust into a huge new world. He meets the princess of Hyrule, battles massive beasts larger than he is, wanders into an old grave and sees horrors beyond his comprehension, and is forced into a marriage with a fish lady. He's surrounded by so many adult concepts he just couldn't begin to understand yet. He's just a kid, and it's all scary for him.

But things change when he leaves Zora's Domain. He encounters Ganondorf, his biggest threat that terrifies him, and seems to be at his most fearful state yet. He makes his way into the Temple of Time and pulls the master sword, knowing this is what will stop Ganondorf's plans... but... it failed. Instead it gave Ganondorf access to the Triforce and thus take over Hyrule with near godlike power. Now Link is suddenly an adult, and is forced to grow up. After meeting a mysterious friend in Sheik, he wanders the forest temple. The Forest Temple is a haunting dungeon, with dark coloring, spirits surrounding him, and chilling music. At the end of the temple, he faces off against a phantom form of his worst enemy. After he clears the dungeon and returns to the Kokiri Forest, he truly realizes that he's grown up, and who he really is. This is the turning point for Link as a person. He's not like a kokiri, who will stay children forever. He has to let go of his childhood and mature, or else he would never be able to survive Hyrule, so that's what he does.

That's what I find fascinating about Ocarina of Time's story. It's a story about throwing away childhood and moving on to be a stronger person. Sure, Link is able to return the master sword where it was and become a kid again, but that only changes his physical form. He's still an adult mentally. He's become an adult now and will never be able to return to the childhood he never got to have. Another tragic thing about this tale, is the ending. During his adventure, he meets all sorts of allies and friends. People who will remember him for being the hero in their life. However, when Link returns to his original timeline at the end, nobody will remember him. Nabooru, Malon, Ruto, they all won't remember what Link did for them. Link doesn't have anyone there for him anymore except maybe Zelda, but Zelda is royalty and would never be allowed to spend time with him. Even Navi, the fairy that pulled him into this adventure, and his one true friend through thick and thin, leaves him after his quest is done. Link is truly alone again. He's saved the world, and nobody will ever even know it. Sure he could go spend time with Saria, or Malon, or Ruto, but it won't be the same. Because they're all children, and Link is an adult despite his looks. He comes to terms with the fact that in Hyrule there's nobody left for him and leaves to search for Navi in the lost woods, getting himself lost in Termina, and that game's story is its own other thing.

Ocarina of Time is a truly sad tale when you stop to think about it. It's a tale of a hero nobody will ever know of. A hero that will have nobody there for him despite him being there for everyone. I might not think too highly of many of the things that the game does, but the story is truly something special the Zelda series has yet to properly replicate.
6 x
Hey there! Every image you see here is clickable!

3DS FC: 3540-6734-9625 let's play some animal crossing new leaf
disgusting toddler
  • Fave food: fruit
27 Mar 2023, 02:59 #136565
spoiler alert!
2 x
disgusting toddler
  • Fave food: fruit
27 Mar 2023, 02:59 #136566
sorry, just being funny. i really havent played it though
2 x
banned
im catgirl wanna be pals
  • Pronouns: she/it
  • Fave food: mac and cheese
  • Favorite Letter: j
27 Mar 2023, 03:09 #136567
oh yeah i probably should've put a spoiler warning lol
0 x
Hey there! Every image you see here is clickable!

3DS FC: 3540-6734-9625 let's play some animal crossing new leaf
cool now
Rat in the Real
  • Pronouns: They/Them/It/Its
  • Fave food: Sandwich
  • Favorite Letter: H
27 Mar 2023, 06:32 #136568
Goddd yeah. Recently been replaying the 3DS version on master quest and Ive just been thinking like how weird it would be to be a kid and one day wake up an adult. His brain would probably mature, but he'd have absolutely no life experience to mature himself.
2 x
yowza!
this user is not accepting tips
  • Pronouns: He/Him
  • Fave food: Yummy Stuff
  • Favorite Letter: W
27 Mar 2023, 15:46 #136570
Link was sent to Termina in the end because he actually wouldn't stop bragging to everyone how he just beat up ganon and they got tired of it. I think at one point one of the NPCs (I think its one of the juggling brothers but not sure) says "look, its all well and good that you did this and yes, we are thankful, but you should know a job well done is its own reward. Please stop reminding us of your deeds at every possible opportune. We don't owe you anything for technically doing the right thing that anyone would've done. Like, what more do you want? We all had a party at the credits in your honor." and Link gave him the finger and that was the last straw and zelda said "Look. You need to go for a little walk and clear your head... aka check yourself before you wreck yourself"
1 x
hiya homa
yowza!
this user is not accepting tips
  • Pronouns: He/Him
  • Fave food: Yummy Stuff
  • Favorite Letter: W
27 Mar 2023, 15:48 #136571
oh and they forgot to kill bongo bongo again so he's still shitting up the well in kakariko
1 x
hiya homa