Friendship has ended with meta story telling

the cartoon guy
  • Pronouns: he/him/they/them
  • Fave food: something
22 Jan 2023, 23:35 #134850
I think I've matured a bit when it comes to my writing. I used to be really focused in on meta of characters and my worlds but I feel like all this time it's been a bit of a detriment for me. I don't think there's anything wrong with metafiction and the characters knowing they are characters but I felt like the reason I've been doing it is because I'm not confident enough in my story telling to stand by it letting the story be a literal thing. The use of meta was like a defense mechanism. I felt like it shielded me from criticism or even criticizing myself over my choices.

I still love a good meta joke and I don't think there's anything wrong with breaking the forth wall or having a narrative above the one presented but I think my next step in my creative journey is to continue to create more literal stories and then come back when I've grown more and I can do meta narratives better through a more experienced lens rather then because of my own insecurities.
4 x
ImageImageImage
banned
im catgirl wanna be pals
  • Pronouns: she/it
  • Fave food: mac and cheese
  • Favorite Letter: j
23 Jan 2023, 03:48 #134851
Meta jokes in media peaked in Chowder (you know the scene) and are pretty stale nowadays. Heck even video games trying to be meta feels tired ever since Undertale did it well (but nobody will do it as cool as Oneshot!!)
1 x
Hey there! Every image you see here is clickable!

3DS FC: 3540-6734-9625 let's play some animal crossing new leaf
the cartoon guy
  • Pronouns: he/him/they/them
  • Fave food: something
23 Jan 2023, 04:11 #134852
RadFox wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 03:48
Meta jokes in media peaked in Chowder (you know the scene) and are pretty stale nowadays. Heck even video games trying to be meta feels tired ever since Undertale did it well (but nobody will do it as cool as Oneshot!!)
giving myself some more credit a lot of my meta stuff has been inspired by those things and a lot of other stuff but recently I've been inspired by other work that's just taken everything solely as reality
1 x
ImageImageImage