YOU CAN JUST LEARN HOW TO DO ART!!! DALM'S ART RESOURCES THREAD....

too cool for school
cool
  • Pronouns: She/her
  • Fave food: Curry
25 May 2021, 18:28 #106381
Has this ever been you?

Well, here's the secret: You can! Art's Just Something You Can Do! In this thread we'll talk about a variety of resources, tutorials and books that'll help YOU learn to make art you can be proud of. At the end of the day, art's not some talent some people are born with, it's a skill that's learned through practice. Learning how to practice properly and challenge yourself is the best way to improve.
General Tutorials

General tutorials on how to get good. Some of these are exercises and some are tutorials. I've tried to choose the ones that have lots of hands-on exercises.

Draw A Box

Disclaimer- I'm actually slowly working through Draw A Box right now, but from what I've seen so far, it is REALLY GOOD. Irshad Karim/Uncomfortable is a pretty great artist, and his exercises go into more detail than any other art resource here, with video demonstrations, comics and in-depth write-ups about all the exercises. The site starts off at the most basic level of art- just drawing lines and circles, and gradually builds up to more and more complex exercises.
If you'd like support from the community which has grown around this resource, check out /r/ArtFundamentals. It's reddit, so sometimes it can be a bit rough, but most of the interactions I've had on there have been lovely and supportive.

Proko

Proko, on youtube as ProkoTV does a variety of videos, mostly about caricature and comic art, but his figure drawing tutorials are really great. Try working on them in conjunction with the life drawing sites below.

Brandon Dayton

Brandon Dayton's youtube channel has some lovely videos about the artistic mindset, procrastination and process. It's very much worth listening to if you're having trouble starting, working or getting yourself to practice.

How To Think When You Draw

The Etherington Brothers write some great tutorials about drawing lots of different stuff. It's hard to really sum this one up, because there's a heck of a lot of different stuff here!

Life and Observational Drawing

Regular lifedrawing and still life are a great way to improve your drawing skills. Whether you're drawing abstract or representational, cartoony or realistic, it helps to have a solid grasp of what the real deal looks like, so the symbols you use to represent it are accurate and recognisable. It's also a great way to learn volumes and anatomy.

Line of Action

Line of action is a life drawing resource. This one is mostly photos rather than videos but it's still hella useful in the way it times you, lets you do custom sessions and has a class mode that starts with short poses and builds up to longer ones. Obviously videos are a little better, and going to life drawing in person is better still, but I find it useful.
This one also offers the option of drawing a bunch of things that a lot of artists, me included, struggle with. Animals, faces and hands. That's most of why I use it. Once a week or so I'll try to do a dedicated practice for drawing hands and faces.
This one also offers the option to draw only clothed models, but some of them are really scary.

Hand references from Adorkastock.

Adorkastock do many stock photos and poses that are great art references. Check them out. They do a LOT of fantasy-themed stuff so if you're interested in that, check them out!

Environments and Backgrounds

Something I and many other artists struggle with is environments, backgrounds and such. Drawing environments from life and using a lot of photo reference is useful, but planning is also super important in this. Here are some references that'll help with that.
Anaxe if you're reading this, do a tutorial on this please!!!! ilu!!!!

Seiyoko's Friday Night Special

A great tutorial on planning backgrounds and using colour to develop them, as well as just, thinking about what you're drawing. Backgrounds can be scary, but they should contribute something to the page, and doing a good background is very much reliant on just, thinking about what you want to show, and how you can show that. Plan it out!

Comics And Sequential Art

As a comic artist, most of what I do is geared towards eventually making rad comics. Right now, I'm trying my hardest to get to a place where my output is at the level I'd like it to be, but I'm not quite there yet. Gonna make rad comics though. Here I'm going to link some resources that I have used and am continuing to use in pursuit of that goal.

Strip Panel Naked

The name sounds lewd, but Strip Panel Naked is not about smut comics. It's actually a great resource for studying and analysing comic books! The videos cover a variety of comics, from independent to established and mainstream comics, and basically are about breaking down what the writers are doing and why. Look at what the artist is trying to say, and how they're saying it.

Dirty Old Ladies

NSFW AS HELL. Dirty Old Ladies is a podcast by comics professionals Spike Trotman (Iron Circus Comics), Kel McDonald (Sorcery 101) and Amanda Lafrenais (Love Me Nice). The comic talks about making comics, getting published, motivation, writing.... You name a comics thing and they've probably covered it at least briefly.
Also, all three of these gals have a lot of good thoughts on twitter.

Making Comics

Not to be confused with Scott McCloud's book of the same name, Makingcomics.com is a huge and slightly labyrinthine site dedicated to helping make comics. It includes loads of free and some paygated tutorials, exercises and written demonstrations on almost every part of the comic-making process. The site's really slow to load, but absolutely worth a read.

How To Get Into Comics And Survive Once You're There

A list of resources and tutorials by comicsbeat.com. This list is frequently updated, so make sure to check it regularly. It's good as hell.

The Webcomics Review Tumblr

Reviews and analysis of webcomics, as well as various tips on how to make and write them. It's defs worth checking out! Also reblogs news about the webcomics scene. Just a generally good site!

BOOKS

I understand some folks can't afford books, so I've tried to make sure there's plenty of emphasis on online resources, but if you have a library near you, defs try to hunt these down. I've learned a massive amount from these, and you can

Making Comics and Understanding Comics By Scott McCloud

Perhaps not the be-all-end-all of comics as it once was (And that's a good thing!), but Making Comics is still an amazing book, and every time I read it, it inspires me to work hard and practice. McCloud talks about the practical skills specific to comics as a medium using the medium, in a simple and clean yet compelling way. It also contains lots of exercises and references to other comic books you might want to study or just read for fun.

Where Making Comics is aimed at those who want to create, Its precursor is aimed at those who want to enjoy and analyse. Understanding Comics isn't as refined as Making Comics, or as relevant to those of us who want to produce our own, but there are a lot of good ideas in there, and I would definitely recommend reading it.

Mccloud also wrote a third book, Reinventing Comics, but I haven't read it yet.

Perspective! For comic book artists by David Chelsea

One of my favourite books. It's a shame I don't own a copy right now. Perspective! For Comic Book Artists goes into depth on that most terrifying of subjects- what the fuck is perspective, and how can we trick an eye into seeing something in three dimensions on a two dimensional piece of paper. Like McCloud's work, Chelsea presents the book in a comics style, making it clear how perspective actually looks. Until I read this, I didn't quite "Get" how perspective grids worked, but this book really changed that. It's absolutely worth a read.

SAVE LOOMIS

Andrew Loomis wrote a lot of old books about figure drawing. They're good. Also check out http://drawingbooks.org/ for more old stuff.
Thanks Alex!

MISC.

For things that are too small or eclectic to fit in with the other sections.

Will Paterson

Will Paterson, a graphic designer, does some neat videos about font and logo design.

Scottish Artists Union recommended rates of pay.

Charge a fair amount for your work!

Coolers.co

A Cute little colour palette generator.

@Anthologycomics

The @Anthologycomics twitter is super useful for finding anthologies looking for folks. As always, most of them are unpaid, but every now and again a paid anthology pops up on there. They have a knack for finding a lot of open calls.

Guide To Human Types

Recommended by OJ!
A Guide to drawing various kinds of humans. TW For one slur (G*psy)

UK Hairdressers

Great hairdressing resource that's also useful for pics of styles for reference. Frequently updated and has a lot of different styles.

Databending with Audacity

A Quick little guide to databending with audacity and how to get the file to open.
:hearteyes:

SO. What now? Check out these resources and get drawing!

If you have any resources, feel free to post them in the thread and I'll check them out and add them to this document. I have WAY MORE than these, but I've tried to make this list pretty light to start off with. Keep checking this thread as I'll add more resources over time.
9 x
too cool for school
cool
25 May 2021, 18:29 #106382

My friend reblogged these the other day. Ain't had the chance to read over them but im puttin em here for my own reference.
4 x
too cool for school
cool
25 May 2021, 18:29 #106383

Here's a master post of 3d modelling resources for learning 3d modeling.
4 x
too cool for school
cool
25 May 2021, 18:30 #106384

Here is a list of writing resources!!!
4 x
too cool for school
cool
25 May 2021, 18:32 #106385

Water tutorial by @soundlesswind on twitter!
Check out their work!

You can replicate the effects of the Chrome filter using a black and white gradient map!
4 x
too cool for school
cool
25 May 2021, 18:33 #106386
Working with pixel pallettes in photoshop!!

8088MPH's technique!

Fessler's Technique

These are ways to crush down art into limited palettes. Thanks to Slangyker for linking em!
4 x
too cool for school
cool
25 May 2021, 18:34 #106387
Tumblr Post:

STRUCTURE OF THE 12 PAGE COMIC

by aishishii
4 x
too cool for school
cool
25 May 2021, 18:35 #106388

kissing is hard to draw but this post is neat.
3 x
s-mod
  • Pronouns: she/her
25 May 2021, 18:58 #106393
_¶¶¶_¶¶_¶¶¶¶
¶__¶¶_¶¶___¶¶
¶___¶¶__¶¶___¶¶
¶_¶___¶¶___¶____¶_¶¶
¶_¶¶¶__¶¶___¶¶___¶¶_¶
¶_¶__¶___¶___¶¶___¶__¶          THANK
¶¶¶¶_¶¶___¶¶__¶¶__¶__¶           YOU
¶__¶__¶¶___¶___¶___¶_¶¶             DALM
¶__¶___¶____¶___¶___¶_¶¶
¶___¶___¶___¶¶__¶¶___¶__¶
¶¶___¶¶__¶¶___¶____¶_____¶
¶___¶_¶___¶¶______________¶
¶¶__¶¶_¶___¶______________¶¶
_¶___¶_¶___________________¶
__¶___¶_¶__________________¶
___¶___¶¶¶_________________¶
____¶_¶__¶_________________¶¶
____¶____¶¶_________________¶
____¶_____¶_________________¶
____¶¶____¶__________________¶
_____¶_____¶_________________¶
_____¶¶____¶¶________________¶_
______¶_____¶¶________________¶¶¶¶¶¶
_______¶_____¶¶_______________¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
______¶¶¶_____¶¶_____________¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
_____¶¶¶¶¶______¶¶__________¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
_____¶¶¶¶¶_______¶¶¶_______¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
____¶¶¶¶¶¶_________¶¶¶____¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
____¶¶¶¶¶__________¶¶¶¶__¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
____¶¶¶¶¶_________¶¶¶¶_¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
____¶¶¶¶¶¶______¶¶¶¶¶___¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
____¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶___¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
_____¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶____¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
______¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶____¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
_______¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶______¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
4 x
yowza!
post-furry [mr sinister approved]
  • Pronouns: She/They
  • Fave food: wizard popcorn [3d]
25 May 2021, 20:29 #106414
YES!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is a great thread
1 x
:imsad: my arctic code vault contributor badge broke :ohno:
the cartoon guy
  • Pronouns: he/him/they/them
  • Fave food: something
25 May 2021, 20:32 #106417
Fuck yeah this is amazing! Awesome work thank you for putting this all together!!
0 x
ImageImageImage
regular
a kinship with all living things
  • Pronouns: any
  • Fave food: candles
  • Favorite Letter: K
25 May 2021, 21:19 #106422
this rocks
1 x
too cool for school
cool
05 Jun 2021, 22:13 #107991
thank u all im glad you ll like it.
I will add more of these in future.
Also, if anyone has any resources they would like to put in here go ahead, especially ones for 3d modelling, setting up livestreams etc because i don't know much about that sort of thing.
0 x
Known Troll - DO NOT ENGAGE
rat
  • Pronouns: they
  • Fave food: cheas
  • Favorite Letter: 2
26 Jun 2021, 05:26 #109789
This is very helpful as I've just picked drawing back up, I should really check woodshop more often. Bookmarked this and I will be coming back to it very frequently.
0 x
too cool for school
cool
01 Jul 2021, 17:09 #110058
sparce wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 05:26
This is very helpful as I've just picked drawing back up, I should really check woodshop more often. Bookmarked this and I will be coming back to it very frequently.
Thats very good to hear! I am thinking of potentially setting up a weekly life drawin practice thing if people are into that???
0 x
incredicool
Born of the Swirling Abyss
  • Pronouns: she/they
  • Fave food: hamgbergber....
02 Jul 2021, 08:06 #110084
It turns out that 3D modeling stuff is really easy if you've got a reference image or two! I've been bashing my head against it without much luck but this tutorial is very good and also quite a bit of fun to follow!

It's especially good because it teaches you some techniques (like merging objects, using the subdivision modifier) that aren't strictly necessary for this project, but really useful to have in your toolbelt.
0 x
my posting 'fit | <- by lung
incredicool
Born of the Swirling Abyss
  • Pronouns: she/they
  • Fave food: hamgbergber....
03 Jul 2021, 23:11 #110143
ANDREA wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 08:06
It turns out that 3D modeling stuff is really easy if you've got a reference image or two! I've been bashing my head against it without much luck but this tutorial is very good and also quite a bit of fun to follow!

It's especially good because it teaches you some techniques (like merging objects, using the subdivision modifier) that aren't strictly necessary for this project, but really useful to have in your toolbelt.
I made this human avatar following the tutorial, and this duck afterwards on my own using the same methods and some reference images I found on the internet!
► Show Spoiler
Next I'm gonna follow along with the rigging tutorial and see if I can make the duck walk :happytime:
0 x
my posting 'fit | <- by lung
s-mod
guh
  • Pronouns: she/her
  • Fave food: kbbq
  • Favorite Letter: e
10 Jul 2021, 16:31 #110572
drawing is a skill not a talent say it again please im tired
1 x
Image my guys >> ImageImage
too cool for school
cool
19 Jul 2021, 01:20 #111182
ANDREA wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 23:11
ANDREA wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 08:06

I made this human avatar following the tutorial, and this duck afterwards on my own using the same methods and some reference images I found on the internet!
► Show Spoiler
Next I'm gonna follow along with the rigging tutorial and see if I can make the duck walk :happytime:
yo this RULES andrea i wanna learn too
1 x
too cool for school
cool
19 Jul 2021, 20:48 #111231
This tutorial on striking and impact is incredible. I recommend it wholeheartedly.

:bends:
0 x
  • Fave food: box
02 Sep 2021, 03:02 #113008
i just drew a naked girla nd jinked off to it thanks dalm
2 x
Fool - Do Not Trust
sexy bad boy with a heart of gold
  • Fave food: dont know
02 Sep 2021, 12:34 #113018
jack_verycool wrote:
02 Sep 2021, 03:02
i just drew a naked girla nd jinked off to it thanks dalm
wait we can do that? :horny: :horny: :horny:
1 x
Another successful post 👍
~~~ and they say that a hero can save us, im not gonna stand here and wait , ill hold onto the wings of the eagles, watch as we all fly away~~~